Thailand offers some of the best snorkeling and scuba diving in the world, and there are some amazing places near Koh Lanta to go on unforgettable snorkeling and diving trips. These are hugely popular activities on Koh Lanta, but they can also pose a threat to coral reefs. Coral reefs are incredibly fragile and easily damaged. There are though ways to protect coral reefs, and it’s good to be aware of these before you go on a snorkeling or diving trip.
The world’s coral reefs are under threat from so many things – climate change, coastal development, tourism, ocean pollution, over fishing. Corals are vital to the health of our oceans, they protect coastal areas from storm damage, provide a home for marine life, and also a livelihood for many people who live in coastal areas.
More than a quarter of the world’s coral reefs have already disappeared, and almost 90% of remaining corals are believed to be in serious danger.
Koh Lanta dive companies work hard to look after the coral reefs here and you can also help Koh Lanta’s coral reefs to remain healthy. Take a look at these 9 ways to protect coral reefs, so you can avoid damaging them when you go snorkeling or diving.
9 Ways to Protect Coral Reefs
These are 9 ways you can enjoy the amazing experience of snorkeling or scuba diving around coral reefs without harming them:
1. Book your snorkeling trip with a professional dive company using certified instructors.
2. Don’t touch the coral or let your body come into contact with it.
3. Never stand on coral.
4. Secure all your diving gear, so it doesn’t touch the coral.
5. Don’t pollute the water with anything, including sunscreen and other body care products, like shampoo and conditioner.
If you want to buy some before you travel, Amazon has a good selection of biodegradable sunscreens and other reef safe products.
6. Don’t break or take away any pieces of coral.
7. Don’t feed the fish. (It’s harmful to the fish, people in the water, and the ecosystem).
8. Don’t fish or moor boats near coral reefs.
9. Reduce, reuse and recycle to prevent plastic ending up in the sea.
Take a look at these 4 ways you can keep Koh Lanta a paradise, by reducing the amount of trash you leave behind.
There are lots of excellent professional dive companies on Koh Lanta to choose from, and you can also book snorkeling trips with them. Check out the reviews of Koh Lanta’s dive companies on Tripadvisor to help you choose.
We’re really proud of the great selection of dive companies we have on Koh Lanta, and hope you have an amazing experience, whichever one you choose.
We hope you enjoy snorkeling and scuba diving on Koh Lanta and have an amazing, low impact trip, now you know the ways to protect coral reefs!
Have you been snorkeling or diving with a professional dive company on Koh Lanta? Leave a comment below to let us know if you enjoyed it, and which companies you would recommend.
You might also like:
SHARE ON PINTEREST